Church leaders who oppose same-sex marriage will eventually be shown to be on the wrong side of history, former Bishop of Edinburgh Richard Holloway said today.
He said churches had, however slowly, changed their minds on issues such as slavery and the status of women.
He said: “The same will happen in the campaign for gay equality in religious institutions.
“It will be resisted, as the liberation of women was, and is still being, resisted, and many of the same arguments will be marshalled against it, but it will prevail.
“Whatever they say, Christians who oppose gay marriage will, in time, be shown to be on the wrong side of history.”
Bishop Holloway was among a group of religious leaders who today gave their backing to same-sex marriage. Others included Rev Maud Robinson, Rabbi Mark Solomon, Phil Lucas and Rev Jane Clarke.
- Religious groups call for gay marriages in Scotland
- Government set to allow full gay same-sex marriage – So So Gay
- Opposition to Gay Marriage Not Socially Acceptable?
- President Benigno Aquino III “respects gay marriage”, but…….
- Pope Benedict’s Remarkable Silence on Homosexuality