There is a homoerotic strand deeply embedded in the history of Christian spirituality and mysticism. A number of modern writers are also exploring queer spirituality, both within and outside the Christian tradition. Finally, spiritual experience is intensely personal, and so accounts of personal experience are important. I group posts on queer spirituality into three headings:
- Homoerotic Spirituality in the Christian Tradition
- Modern Approaches to Homoerotic Spirituality
- Personal Accounts
Homoerotic Spirituality in the Christian Tradition
- Homoerotic Spirituality - This is an overview of the subject.
- A 2nd Cent. Queer Hymn of Praise: “The Father Who Was Milked”
- St John of the Cross - One of the great mystics, with distinctively homoerotic themes.
- Therese of Lisieux: An Ally in Our Gay Great War. Suggests that the renowned spirituality of Therese carries lessons for us as LGBT Catholics.
- “The Last Judgement”, and the Homoerotic Spirituality of Michelangelo.
- The Rosary for October: Subversive, Queer. Proposes two alternatives approaches to praying the rosary – one subversive, one queer.
Modern Approaches to Homoerotic Spirituality
- The Spiritual Gifts of Gay Sexuality Some reflections on James L’Empereurs book, Spiritual Direction and the Gay Person.
- The Intimate Dance of Sexuality and Spirituality Presents Chris Glaser’s argument that sexuality and spirituality work best when practiced together, not in opposition.
- Coming Out as Spiritual Experience Discusses some ideas in Daniel Helminiak’s book, Sex and the Sacred.
- “Coming Out” as Wrestling with the Divine Discusses an idea in Richard Cleaver’s book,”Know My Name”
- Seduced by Grace Discusses the book by the Australian theologian and specialist in gay male spirituality, Michael B Kelly
- Sex As God Intended My review of John McNeill’s useful book
- Philip Endean on Family, Marian Devotions
- Put Christ Back Into Christianity: The Body of Christ
- “Finding God in the Erotic”: Fr Donal Godfrey
- My Homoerotic Retreat: Six days that changed my life
- Ignatian Spirituality – and Me This is a personal reflection on how Ignatian sprituality has been valuable to me in developing my own understanding of sexuality against the background of Catholic teaching.
- Finding God in Gay Lovemaking. This introduces a link to a personal story of how one gay couple found their love making drew them closer to God.
- Wrestling With God: the Challenge for Queer Christians- Gay priest “Bart” writes of his journey to coming out as both priest and gay, as one of wrestling with the Lord.
- From the Belly of the Whale – A Gay Priest Speaks- Gay priest “Jonah”describes his spiritual journey to acceptance as simultaneously priest, and gay man, as one discovering God’s “relentless mercy”.