Pope Francis and Gay Marriage

For World Youth Day Pope Francis is currently in Brazil, where largely unobserved by the rest of the world marriage equality has been steadily expanding, state by state de jure, and across the entire country de facto. Ever since a court decision in 2011, same-sex couples across the nation have been able to register their unions .Following a later court decision, any couple in a registered union could petition a judge to convert that union into a marriage. In 14 or the 27 states (indluding the major cities), this two stage process has been simplified by local decisions, to provide for same – sex marriage in exactly the same way as different – sex couples.In effect, full marriage is available to any couple in Brazil, even though it has never been legislated by parliament.

Gay marriage, Brazil

Six of these state level decisions have been introduced since Pope Francis’ election to the papacy (Paraná, Mato Grosso do Sul,  Rio de Janeiro, Rondônia, Santa Catarina and Paraíba), together with the five countries (New Zealand, Uruguay, France, England and Wales), and four American states where equal marriage has been introduced or re- introduced in the same – period,. With such rapid progress towards gay marriage in Brazil and world – wide, and given the dire warnings by many Catholic bishops and self – appointed Catholic spokesmen of the calamitous consequences of redefining marriage, we should pay careful attention to what the pope himself has had to say on this momentous subject.

Here’s a summary of everything I’ve seen, of Francis’ words on gay marriage since becoming pope:

Zilch.

Nada

(I ignore the indirect references in the encyclical Lumen Fidei, because not only are these indirect, they are not strictly speaking Francis’ words at all. The encyclical was issued by Pope Francis, but essentially written by his predecessor, Benedict XVI. For more, see Francis DeBenardo at Bondings 2.0).

Some of the things he has been speaking about, are the evils of greed and materialism, corruption and injustice – in the church, and in the world. Specifically, he called on young people to “shake up the Church”, and to “put an end to clericalism”.

I want to tell you something. What is it that I expect as a consequence of World Youth Day? I want a mess. We knew that in Rio there would be great disorder, but I want trouble in the dioceses!” he said, speaking off the cuff in his native Spanish. “I want to see the church get closer to the people. I want to get rid of clericalism, the mundane, this closing ourselves off within ourselves, in our parishes, schools or structures. Because these need to get out!”

Read more: .foxnews.

Ending injustice, getting out into the world, and shaking up the church will surely include getting out into the LGBT communities, ending injustice in the Church, and shaking up disordered Church thinking about sexuality. In effect, by demanding full inclusion for LGBT Catholics, we have an indirect papal endorsement.

Contrary to what our opponents would have us believe, issues of sexuality and opposition to same – sex marriage are not central to Catholic teaching. Concerns about justice, including economic and sexual justice, certainly are.

11 comments for “Pope Francis and Gay Marriage

1. July 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

The Church is the Mystical Body of Church united WITH ALL PEOPLE – CHRISTIAN OR NOT. The position of the Church in secular society should never be political and marriage, contrary to popular belief is a civil contract. Holy Matrimony – the sacrament is the Church’s arena of concern. as St. Augustine stated: the people must inform us as to when they have married so that WE may bless them.
    Quite frankly…I have grown quite fatigued “worrying” about what the “Holy” Roman Catholic Church pronounces concerning homosexuality. I no longer consider their pronouncements to be based on valid Biblical exegesis – that is, the meaning of Scripture is based on the cultural/historical context of the people at the time. It evolves or should I say, becomes clearer as we attempt to fathom the unfathomable – the Mind of God. If homosexuality were such an “abomination” would not Jesus Himself addressed it ? Yet, He did not and it certainly existed during His earthly life and He encountered it. Yet He was silent. He was NEVER silent about hypocrisy, nor indifference to the less fortunate. And as to “sin” (what wasn’t sinful in Judaism according to Leviticus) He forgave freely. The Catholic Church has centuries of blood on her hands – persons butchered under the pretense of “heresy” in order to achieve political power and influence. Yet, there have been few earnest apologies for her discretions. The recent pedophile crisis was acknowledged (and regret expressed by John Paul II – who did so sincerely I believe) only because the Bishops got caught. What did Cardinal Law do ? He fled USA jurisdiction and was granted a cushy diocese by the Vatican. We peons, the laity, are chastised, condemned and if the Church still had political power – I am sure would be burned at the stake. I think we need to trash the Church’s positions as hypocritical, and as my pastor bravely stated publicly during a homily “anyone in this congregation who chose their sexual orientation…please stand…I want to meet you…the Church’s teaching on homosexuality is quite frankly – false”. Rather than carrying on with the Church’s bullshit, I think we, Gay Persons, need counsel as to how we can better love ourselves and serve Christ just as we are. He accepts and loves us unconditionally – as created. We do not need the Church’s Good Housekeeping stamp of approval. Teach us how to throw off the chains and freely love/accept ourselves. Namaste

• July 30, 2013 at 4:53 am

Robert Geis has written an extensive work on this issue, “Same-Sex in Scripture.” His discussion on Matthew 19:12 (the eunuch from the womb) goes to show that this is the same-sex male, and is so not by choice, but from the womb. The work is positively brilliant and while it is in many University libraries the silence from the Church on this work, showing the non-Scriptural basis of its claims being simply deafening.

2. Mark Davenport
    July 27, 2013 at 2:02 am

I wonder how many gay Catholics are leaving for the Evangelical sects? (None?) I bet the biggest homophobes are the first ones to jump ship to those sects. (They know the truth about Catholic priests.) So the Catholic Church is really shooting itself in the foot here. Hope that the Pope inspires people over there to keep them in the Church and away from the sects. (Yeah, I know!!!!)

3. Mark Davenport
    July 27, 2013 at 2:06 am

I think a big draw for the sects is that they have so many more ministers and they have married ministers whose wives work for free. This looks better than priests with mistresses, girlfriends, boyfriends….. Let’s start getting honest here. How many people really believe that almost all priests are celibate (& chaste) anymore?

4. July 29, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I don’t recall Pope Francis saying anything about abortion or contraception. On the day abortion was legalised in Ireland, there was no statement from him.
    The slaughter of millions of unborn children does not even get a mention. This should be the number one priority, before poverty, education.
    When there is a train/coach crash he will release a statement on the loss of life, but alas nothing for the unborn child killed by abortion!
    Yours in Christ,
    Frances

5. Scholastica
    July 29, 2013 at 7:29 pm

The time of the Anti Christ has begun!

• July 30, 2013 at 10:05 am

No…the anti-Christ is not found in Francis I but in the hearts of egotistical men (Hierarchy) who presume to condemn and chastise “sinners” whilst they thy themselves are guilty of the acts which they commit while closeted. Besides, no power was EVER granted by Christ to judge or punish another human being. Guide, shepherd – with love as He did – not with a rod of iron to beat into submission. He never condemned any “sinner” – nor does Francis I – just as he believes homosexual acts to be sinful (BTW…”Scholastica” – all sexual acts outside of marriage are considered “sinful” – so don’t single out gays – the love they express is NOT sinful) in his statements concerning gay priests (about 45% or more) – he goes on to state but “who am I to judge”. Scholastica – throw down your self-righteous stone of condemnation – it will bounce back up in your face. Hypocrisy, my dear, was the only sin which angered Christ…look in the mirror.

6. Carmen
    July 30, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you – the time of the Anti Christ has begun! God save us and protect us from a complete collapse of our faith and everything sacred we believed in.

7. Lynn
    July 31, 2013 at 1:25 am

Something is not adding up. I refer to the Pope’s elaboration on the homosexual question to the media. He knows enough about the media to know that they are godless. He is old enough and has enough acquaitance with the media to know that his “candid” confession about the Church and homosexuality would be completely spun and bent out of shape to appease the appetites of those that support the queer agenda as of course has been the case. Does a man or a Pope confess his deepest thoughts to his enemy? Maybe a man confesses to his spouse, his confessor…to an intimate friend…but to someone he knows will distort his thoughts? I don’t think so. This is very curious and seems agenda driven….to what end?

• July 31, 2013 at 10:36 am

Perhaps the Church’s problem is that its centuries old policy of subterfuge, secrecy, and political agendas is coming to an end. All the foregoing bespeak a Church concerned with its temporal power and control – anathema to both the Gospel and the heart of Christ. So, what you view as revealing your “hand” to your enemy, is suspect and lacking in wisdom ? Dear Lord, your priorities are in the wrong place. Your – my concern – is with the rising of a true Church from the ashes of the past – corruption and overwhelming sinfulness – sinfulness such as the money laundering performed by Vatican authorities and the pedophile crisis which was swept under the rug as if human children were expendable. As a gay Catholic man (spare me your self-righteous condemnation and prayers for conversion) I am deeply offended by your term “agenda” applied to us as gay beloved children of God. We have only one “agenda” as you put it – to be an accepted part of the Body of Christ (the true Church) which we are – but also the institutional Church. The Church may disagree with us on some issues – we can accept that. Let me remind you that being a “homosexual” is not sinful – the sexual expression of love for who we love is the issue. Somehow it has been raised to a level of depravity which it is not. If it be sin (on this point I/we disagree) it is no more so than “heterosexual” sex outside marriage. So if you wish to invoke Leviticus, then single sexually active heterosexuals are also “abominations”. But I really think my Father is concerned more with people – gay or straight – loving one another. Besides eating unclean food is equally “unclean” and an abomination so skip the shrimp. Can you not accept the graciousness, sincerity and humility of Francis I or would you be one among the mob yelling “crucify him” !

8. artluna
    August 5, 2013 at 6:31 am

sorry theres is only one church not churches its catholic we hold fast to tradition and bible not bible alone it simple as this st paul teaches no immoral person will enter heaven been gay is a disorder thanks to dads who werent there for there children when they were 8 years old to make them mature look what happens punshment cuausing the kid to become gay or a gang member love means keeping the commandments keeping our soul clean god looks for souls that dont sin all pastors are prideful think they know more than the church private interpatation is false causing a false message to the indival thinking hes save read james 1:12 first this then reward